Firefighters from Udall and Rock were called out to a report of a grass fire over the weekend. It happened Sunday afternoon on 62nd Road, 9 miles east of Udall.
Reportedly, Richard Miller had been welding near his shop, and sparks set the short grass on fire. Due to the gusty winds, the fire spread quickly to a pasture to the east of the shop and then on to the Jackson property on 62nd Road, where the fire threatened a garage and a home. The Ark City Traveler reports that four grass trucks and a tanker responded, and firefighters had the flames under control quickly. There were no injuries related to the fire, but approximately 30 acres of grass were burned. Building materials being stored at the Jackson residence also were damaged.