Great recipes to get you back on track with a healthy fresh start to the new year.
Jodi’s Chicken Noodle Soup (Instant Pot)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (feel free to do boneless skinless thighs too)
- 3 ribs of celery, sliced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons butter (i may use more next time for more flavor)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 7 cups of chicken broth*** or chicken stock
Use only real or boxed chicken broth. I don’t recommend bone broth for this recipe. When I used bone broth – it was to bland.
I added about ½ stick of butter when all cooking was finished, right before serving. It needs that added flavor.
Quick and Easy Chicken Noodle Soup (No Instant Pot)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/2 pound chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups egg noodles
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (12-oz.) jar roasted chicken gravy
OR try this recipe instead if you prefer to make the crust yourself.
- 1 can Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup or Campbell’s® Condensed 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, corn, peas), thawed (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup biscuit baking mi
from Holly Clegg’s KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence cookbook
Effortless flavorsome chicken in a rich brown gravy served over rice is the ultimate comfort food. When done, leave on simmer until ready to serve, you can’t overcook — just gets more tender.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Nutritional info per serving:
Calories 216, Calories from Fat 18%, Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 97mg, Sodium 249mg, Carbohydrates 9g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Total Sugars 3g, Protein 33g, Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Terrific Tip: If you’re only using a small amount of parsley, dried parsley is fine.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 pounds large sweet onions, vertically sliced (about 16 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cups unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 24 (1/2-ounce) slices whole-grain French bread baguette
- 5 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
1. Place butter, thyme, and bay leaf in the bottom of a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Add onions; sprinkle with sugar. Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours.
2. Remove thyme and bay leaf; discard. Add stock, vinegar, salt, and pepper; cook, covered, on HIGH for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler to high.
4. Arrange bread in a single layer on 2 baking sheets; broil 30 seconds on each side or until toasted. Place 1 cup soup in each of 12 (8-ounce) ramekins or ovenproof bowls, or follow freezing instructions. Top each serving with 2 bread slices and about 2 tablespoons cheese. Place 6 ramekins on a jelly-roll pan; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Repeat procedure with remaining 6 ramekins, bread slices, and cheese.
See more at Murphy, Sam & Jody.