The Kansas Department of Health and Environment, in conjunction with the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, has issued public health advisories for many Kansas lakes due to blue-green algae. When a warning is issued, they recommend precautions, saying the lake water is not safe to drink for pets or livestock. They say lake water, regardless of blue-green algae status, should never be consumed by humans. If algae is present, contact with the water should be avoided. Fish may be eaten if they are rinsed with clean water and only the fillet portion is consumed, but all other parts should be discarded. Do not allow pets to eat dried algae. If lake water contacts your skin, wash with clean water as soon as possible, and avoid areas of visible algae accumulation.